Saturday, May 7, 2016
The grass is growing furiously and becomes a hazard for our horses.
You'd think lots of rich grass would be great for them, but not neccessarily.
When the grass is rapidly growing it produces lots of sugar (fructans)
which stimulates an overgrowth of bacteria in the horse's large intestine.
The bacteria produce and release toxins (endotoxins) that are carried by the bloodstream
to the foot where they cause damage leading to lameness.
Many horses are euthanized for this condition, called laminitis.
So if you see a horse with a grazing muzzle on,
the owner is not trying to starve the horse, but actually trying to keep it healthy.
They can eat through the small opening in the muzzle, but not over eat.