Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Rocky Cowgirl Creations

Beekeeping has many rewards.
Learning to be brave is one.
Having enough self control not to swat is another.
And another reward is beeswax.

Remember during the honey harvest when we had to cut the
 cappings off the honeycomb?
That little curl is pure organic beeswax with some honey stuck to it.

So after melting, straining & filtering the cappings,
I had a disc of pure beeswax just begging to be used.
After much googling, I settled on trying my hand at lotion bars and lip balm.


My lotion bars are simply are a combination of beeswax, coconut oil & shea butter.
 And an essential oil for a pleasant scent.

Melt the ingredients in a double boiler.
Plan on never using the boiler again for anything but beeswax combinations,
since it is almost impossible to remove completely.
I found this one at Goodwill.

Pour into molds
( more carefully than I did)

 Let them set up

And there you go - lotion bars!

I also made lip balm, but didn't think to document the process.
Its similar to lotion bars, different proportions & much smaller amounts (think tablespoons)
and I added honey & vanilla essence.
Then I came up with the decidedly uncreative name of 
"Rocky Cowgirl".

Spurred on by my success, I made sugar scrub
with honey, brown & turbinado sugars, almond oil and vanilla essence.

Throw in a tiny bottle of pure honey and
there you have the finished Rocky Cowgirl collection.

Christmas gifts for all the special people in my life.



Supply Notes:
Brambleberry.com for shea butter, coconut oil, almond oil, 
essential oils, foot mold and slidey tins.
myownlabels.com for the labels
mygirlfriendshouse for cello bags
Michaels for ribbon, stamp, wooden spoon
Meijer for jars, silicone molds


No comments: